Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Trip down memory lane

Trip down memory lane...

It's been 3 years since I last set foot in Batu Gajah (BG). For those not in the know, it's a small town 30mins south of Ipoh, Malaysia.

I took the night coach with Mummy dearest on Friday night and arrived dark and early at 4amin BG. My poor aunt had to wake up and pick us up from the "bus-stop", which actually is the only Shell station in the town. We took a nap and woke up at about 9am to get ready for the day ahead.

First up, we went to get fishball noodles (Ipoh style) for breakfast. Then on to the temple to pay respects to my grandma. That's the main reason why we ventured there to begin with. That was followed by a drive around Ipoh, looking for Ipoh goodies! Man, I ate so much I got a tummyache.

It's amazing how much time has passed and how so little has changed. Ipoh's still the same as I remembered it to be when I was little. This trip was both nostalgic and sad coz this would be the last time I would be in Ipoh and BG for a long long while. We met up with my cousin for a quick coffee break at 4pm (after having lunch, egg tarts and buns) to catch up.

Then we headed back to BG to visit my grandpa who, unfortunately, is now completely blind from his 2 strokes a few years ago. Just when I thought that time hadn't change anything, I see my grandpa shrunken and sitting in his lounge chair all day. He's got trouble walking but yet is quite sharp in the mind. That's not the grandpa I know. I wonder how frustrating it is to be in darkness all the time and having no one to talk to. I can see that he misses my grandma very much. After all, they were married for more than 60 years.

I spent the rest of the night (till early morning) playing gin rummy with my cousins who came back for the weekend from KL. It was great to see them. It was like the good old times again. The coach ride home on Sunday morning took a nice 10 hours, no thanks to the caseway jam over in JB. It's good to be home!

I've never packed so much into 1 day before. I saw many things, relieved many memories this weekend. Tiring as it was, I'm glad I made the trip. The trip also made me reflect on my life and where it is that I am heading.

Just my first step to saying goodbye to life as I have known it and to my childhood.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i always referred to it as the kampong. and did you notice the new 7-11? that must be the next hippest thing, the last being KFC.

10:12 PM  
Blogger yenee said...

Ahhh... you're a little behind time. Pizza Hut's the new hip place to be seen now.

3:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OH! GOT PIZZA HUT!?

11:19 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home